Friday, August 13, 2010

Secret Daughter

I just finished reading Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. The style is similar to other popular fiction out today where each chapter goes back and forth between characters. I like this style, as I find it is easy to follow and I always want to know how the last events in that chapter are affecting the character coming up in the next chapter.
I am not sure if that made sense.
This book was a page turner and a really good story with themes about what constitutes a family, sacrifice, and coming into one's self.
The characters are charming and real. I tried to think of who my favourite character is, but I can't even decide. I love one of the main characters, Asha who is trying to find her identity as an adopted Indian girl in an American family. I also love her mother, Somer, who doesn't relate to the Indian world at all, as a white American woman, and feels like she is losing her daughter who moves to India for a year and reconnects with her father's Indian relatives. I am finding it particularly poignant at this time in my life as I am having discussions about having children, which I have NEVER wanted to do. But, now I am considering it as my boyfriend wants to have 5. He think we should compromise and go between my 0 and his 5 and have 3. That is a far cry from my absolute certainty that I would have none. I think my biggest fear with having children (besides the obvious pain - which I honestly don't know if I can bear) is that I will fail them, be a bad mother, or they will end up abandoning me at 14 to do drugs in the back of a warehouse somewhere. I don't know if I could handle that. Everyone says I'll be a good mother, which I don't doubt at all, but that doesn't mean I will do it, just because I'm good at it.
Irregardless, my fears of becoming a mother having nothing to do with this book.
Please read Secret Daughter!

1 comment: