Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Vegan Spanikopita


I LOOOVVEEE spanikopita. But, because it has cheese and butter in it, I can't eat it. So, I made a vegan version with soy feta cheese and Earth Balance butter. The filo pastry I used was made with oil, not butter, which was awesome! I found it at Sobey's. Here is the recipe:


8 cups spinach - no stems

1/2 cup parsley

1/2 cup dill

2 cups green onions

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup olive oil

3 cups onions

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 cup feta cheese, crumbled into small pieces

14 filo sheets

3/4 cup butter, melted


1. Shred spinach. (I sat in front of the tv and used scissors) Combine it with parsley, dill, green onions and salt. Let it sit for 15 mins, then press out any liquid that forms.

2. Heat olive oil in skillet. Add onions until transparent. Add spinach mixture. Saute for a few minutes. Add feta and pepper.

3. Place 7 filo sheets in a buttered 10x17x2 pan, brushing in between each sheet with melted butter. Add spinach mixture. Add remaining sheets on top, layering with butter.

4. Cut it into pieces before you bake at 375* for 30 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment