Sunday, June 27, 2010

Shanghai Girls

I just finished reading Shanghai Girls by Lisa See and must take it back to the library pronto! This is the 3rd Lisa See book I've read and enjoyed. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was the first I've read from her and I really loved it. The history in the novel seeped into my brain, and I will never forget the descriptions of foot binding practices in China (which has been outlawed, but is still done in remote villages) or the relationship with "old sames" that young girls share.

Then I read Peony in Love, which I didn't enjoy as much. For me, the writing wasn't as strong as Snow Flower.

I absolutely loved Shanghai Girls, and I think it is my favourite so far! The story is set in China and Los Angeles from the 1930 - 1960's where the Chinese fled from their homeland and many came to San Francisco and were placed in Los Angeles in the Chinatown there. This is a great book about family, loyalty, tradition, and becoming "Amercianized."

I am off to the library to find my next read, Good to A Fault by Marina Endicott.

No comments:

Post a Comment