Sunday, July 18, 2010

You win some, you lose some


Last night was my friend Jen's stagette. She's getting married this coming Saturday on her acreage - which I'm totally excited for. The stagette theme and events were kept secret until we got to our first destination. The theme was Jen's Amazing Race to the Altar. Yes ladies and gentlemen, a city wide scavenger hunt requiring many wedding type situations and photos of strangers. Our final destination was The Common (101024 124 St) which was a really cozy and cute bar. Except one thing - nothing on the menu was even close to being vegan. So this is the part where I lose some. I opted for the mushroom tart which was delicious, but had goat cheese and I'm sure phyllo pastry isn't vegan either. (Sometimes taking one for the team is a tasty adventure.) In retrospect, I could have ordered the pear and goat cheese salad and asked for no cheese. But I didn't think about it that much.

So, today is when I win some. This morning for breakfast I had a rye bread sandwich with hummos on both sides and tomato and lettuce in between. I love sandwiches for breakfast, and this one fit the bill. Simple, but delicious.

For lunch I made vegan mac and cheese (a recipe I made on the fly - same as normal but with soy cheese, ww pasta, ww flour and almond milk). It didn't look too pretty, but it tasted so good.

Supper consisted of 3 things I've had in mind to make for a while. First I wanted to try a vegan caesar salad dressing that I've wanted to try. With fresh lettuce from the garden - it tasted so light and delicious. Often caesar salad can be very heavy due to the dressing, but this was light. Recipe can be found here. http://vegetarian.about.com/od/saladdressings/r/vegancaesar.htm

Then I made some roasted baby potatoes because I bought some at the farmer's market yesterday. I just coated them with olive oil and put them in the oven for about 40 mins.

And then I made a black bean and quinoa salad. I am supposed to eat beans with a whole grain to get the complete protein. This is hard for me, but I'm getting better.

Attached are some pictures of the food I made today.

Here's hoping for a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment